Day 4: American Queen Steamboat
Welcome to Day 4 of our 30 days – 30 cruise line promotion. As we are going in alphabetical order, next on the list is American Queen Steamboat Company. When you hear the word steamboat you probably immediately have a nice visual that pops into your head. We think Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, bluegrass music, bourbon, adventure and the old west.
The American Queen is pretty spectacular looking. From the photo you can see the really cool paddlewheel and the attention to detail in the gingerbread style trim that outline each cabin. American Queen offers itineraries along the upper and lower Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee and also the Columbia and Snake Rivers in the northwest. It’s the perfect way to see how the country looked to its early explorers and pioneers. So what are some key features of American Queen:
- They have just one ship and it holds 432 guests.
- It is the largest riverboat in the world and in fact is longer than a football field (wow!)
- It is a replica of a 1840s steam driven paddleboat.
- A number of different sizes of staterooms are offered all with a southern charm.
- In 2012, the American Queen participated in the Great Steamboat Race and came in 2nd place.
- She is also a member of Historic Hotels of America.
American Queen has put together some fun theme cruises as well such as a baseball legends cruise, southern culture cruise, old-fashioned holidays cruise, music of the 50s cruise and a few more. They even have an Elvis cruise. The feeling of Americana will be a huge part of a cruise aboard the American Queen.
If you are looking for a relaxed cruise vacation with some unique experiences, American Queen Steamboat Company has some options for you. What are some of your favorite spots along the Mississippi? Share in the comments below.